Friday, February 20, 2009

Hidden Talent

Today, the kids and I went and had lunch with John near his work downtown.  We talked over to Subway, got our sandwiches and walked over to the Galivan Center.  A nice little grassy area, benches and an outside ice rink.  The kids had commented on how they were kind of scared of the city.  They didn't like crossing the busy streets and some people seemed really strange.  Well, we sat down and only a few seconds later were we visited by a homeless man.  He came up to us and started telling us a story about his life and why he was homeless.  Then he said, no that's not the truth, I'm not going to lie to you and tell you a story.  Then he goes on to say that he's embarrassed, but that he has nowhere to go and no money and if we could help him in any way.  Well John, had almost finished half of his sub sandwich and decided to give the man the rest of his sandwich.  The man was very grateful and felt that he needed to pay us back in some way.  We assured him that that wasn't necessary, but he was very persistent.  So he said that he would sing for us.  Well he started singing and started up a little dance.  We couldn't believe it.  It was pretty funny and, of course, entertaining.  Well as he sang we couldn't believe how good he actually sounded.  And boy was he animated.  People kept staring and watching as they walked by.  But we were the lucky ones that he picked to do the show for.  Well, when he finished we thanked him and told him we didn't need anymore payment and that he could go eat his sandwich.  He was very grateful again and walked away.  The kids didn't know what to say.  But I think we all left the center that day a little more appreciative and grateful for our life and for all the things we have.  I feel so blessed to have a wonderful husband who takes such good care of us.    

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how sweet, he performed for you! I love that he wanted to pay you in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat story!!!
    Stacy I don't know if you remember me but I came with Kathy and stayed at your home one year when we went to the parade of homes in St. George. I hope it's ok if I stopped in to see your blog. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it's ok. I'll have to check in on yours, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love you to! I have a private blog so if you will send your e-mail address to me I'll put it in my blog and it will send you an invite. My e-mail address is...... miriamn@live.com

    ReplyDelete